The Institute of Canadian Studies at Lyndon seeks to contribute to increasing understanding of Canadian politics within the United States.
It has been well established that US citizens lack general knowledge of Canadian governmental institutions and procedures, political organization, and perspectives that shape the political landscape of their northern neighbor. The Institute of Canadian Studies endeavors to address this knowledge gap by engaging students in experiential and cross-border studies:
- Lyndon’s proximity to Canada naturally lends itself to close contact and the exchange of information for promoting greater understanding of Canadian politics by its student population.
- The Institute is a source of information as well as a gateway to depositories of Canadian political and cultural data.
- Travel to Canada is a critical feature of the Institute as we work to immerse students in Canadian politics.
- The Institute seeks to promote educational opportunities and cooperative business ventures.
- We facilitate and advertise events that expose US citizens to various viewpoints of Canadian politics, history, and culture.
- We encourage and cooperate in research designed to investigate and examine the Canadian experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of other polities is seen by the Institute as a key to developing more harmonious and cooperative transnational relations.
- The primary goal of the Institute of Canadian Studies at Lyndon is to initiate and participate in projects that educationally breach our shared border.
David J. Plazek
Institute of Canadian Studies at LSC, Chair
David.Plazek@LyndonState.edu | (802) 626-6241