Explorations is an experiential, comprehensive program for freshman and sophomores who are undecided about their major and wish to explore career options in the real world. Lyndon recognizes that not every student who attends college knows what they would like to do with their lives. In fact, 30 percent of freshman students nationwide describe themselves as undecided. This program ensures a seamless transition into your major of choice at Lyndon.
Explorations supports first-year students and sophomores who are actively investigating a variety of undergraduate majors and subsequent career options. Students take elective courses in fields of study they are interested plus required General Education courses in the arts, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences. Along the way, their assumptions about learning, life, and careers are challenged and sharpened.
By investigating the many options for majors, student “explorers” are guided through the great branches of knowledge, thus tapping into some expected and unexpected interests. Surrounded by like-minded students and faculty mentors, Explorations helps define and redefine interests, skills, and aspirations, and ultimately assists a student in choosing a major with confidence.
This major is for students who are:
- Interested in many different subject areas and are not yet ready to decide upon a major
- Cautious in their approach to making significant life decisions
- In need of strengthening their academic profile to enter the major in which they are interested
- Curious about possibilities
- Interested in exposure to a professional experience as you work toward understanding which major will be a good fit for them
What Can this Program Do for You?
This program allows students to:
- Improve their reading, writing, critical thinking, and math skills prior to entering a major
- Take courses that are of interest to them
- Accomplish a practicum as early as their first year
- Learn about various professions via guest speakers and career practicums
- Co-director: Janet Bennion, Professor (Sociology and Anthropology)
- Co-director: Mark Hilton, Associate Professor (Business)
- David B. Beliles, Professor (English)
- Kevin Farrell, Associate Professor (Mathematics)
- Chandler R. Gilman, Associate Professor (English)
- David M. Johnston, Assistant Professor (Philosophy)
- Andrea Luna, Professor (English)
- Richard Moye, Professor (English)
- Daisy McCoy, Professor (Mathematics)